THE SHRIVER FAMILY GREEN BOOK.
PART SECOND. NARRATIVES AND RECORDS TO THE PRESENT TIME. 1888.
(Page numbers from 1888 Green Book in [square brackets].)
Public Services | Early Death at Fort Wayne |
Children with their Connections | Genealogical Records
JAMES SHRIVER, the third son of Andrew Shriver, of Union Mills, was born at Littlestown, Pa. He was baptized by Rev. Mr. Kopright; sponsors, his father and mother.
He attained manhood at the family residence, Union Mills. His native intelligence was improved by a fair English education, and, being qualified for the position, he was appointed by his uncle David his assistant in the location and construction of the National Road from Cumberland to Wheeling. In 1824 he accepted a position, tendered him by gentlemen interested in the project, to make preliminary surveys for the contemplated Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. He prepared a map, and gave a summary of estimates, and other matters relative to the subject, which he had published, and which gave a decided impulse to the project. Hon. Andrew Stewart, M. C., at the time one of the foremost advocates for the construction of the canal, in an address delivered at Smithfield, Pa., July 4, 1825, says, “I found Mr. James Shriver occupied in selecting material on the subject. We repaired to the Summit level, where Mr. Shriver remained a considerable time until he collected material for the work which he has since published, and this work, it is but justice to say, gave the first great impulse to this movement. It was the result of these surveys, which Mr. Shriver exhibited in person at the Canal Convention in Washington, which removed all doubt as to the practicability of the work.”
In 1825 he was appointed by Government Chief of the Brigade of Engineers to survey the location of the mountain division of the canal. While thus engaged, Hon. John C. Calhoun, Secretary  of War, spent some time in the encampment with the Brigade, thus evincing the Government’s interest in the work. After the completion of these surveys, Mr. Shriver was further commissioned (1826) by the Government, to make the surveys for the Wabash Canal, Indiana, and, while thus engaged — month of August — he was taken ill with typhus fever and died at Port Wayne. The Brookville (Indiana) Repository referred to the event as follows: “Mr. Shriver was a most useful citizen, and one of the most important, active and efficient agents of the Government in the system of Internal Improvements now in progress. His scientific attainments were extensive, and contributed largely to the development of the resources of the country; and his literary and other accomplishments were of no ordinary kind. In the death of such a man it may well be said, we have lost a useful citizen, and the Government a valuable public officer.”
The funeral obsequies were in character with the foregoing estimate of Mr. Shriver’s public services. General Tipton, the Commander of the Port, the members of the Brigade of Engineers, the Port Wayne Masonic fraternity, citizens and Indians, participated in the ceremonies of sepulture, evidencing their grief and respect for the deceased. A member of the Brigade, in a letter of condolence to his friends, says: “I am certain no man ever bad more attentive friends about him than Mr. Shriver had. Mr. Moore, Mr. Stansbury, Mr. Smith, (Mr. Morris was ill), Mr. Jackman, Mr. Stewart, Dr. Cushman, his physician, in fact, all were unceasing in their attentions.” The interment was in the “public burial ground, near a small church on the bank of the river.”
The members of the Brigade, subsequently, convened and took action expressive of their deep sense of loss in the death of their Chief, and the high regard entertained for him as a friend and officer.
In personal appearance James Shriver was attractive and commanding, He was noted, in the society in which he moved, for his social qualities, which endeared him to his friends, especially to those of the home circles at Uniontown and Union Mills. He died, as he had lived, in the faith of the gospel.
ELIZABETH B. SHRIVER, his estimable wife, was born at Uniontown, Pa. Her father, John Miller, was a prominent citizen of the place. Her mother was a daughter of Jacob Beason, one of the first settlers of the region. She was the eldest daughter. Her sister Anna married Hon. Judge Hampton, of Pittsburgh, and her sister Jane married judge James Todd, of Philadelphia. John H. Hampton, a nephew, is a prominent lawyer at the Pittsburgh bar, and attorney for the Pennsylvania and other railroads. Moses Hampton Todd, Philadelphia, anther nephew, married Alice E. Ferree, and John H. Miller, son of her brother, the late Major Miller, U.S.A., married Barbara Pebles, whose mother was Mary Ferree, lineal descendants in each case of the Pequea Ferrees, thus reuniting these several branches and connections of the Shriver family.
Elizabeth B. Shriver was distinguished for her personal charms, and social and domestic virtues. Her death occurred during her husband’s absence at Washington on public duty. They had two children, Eliza Jane and Samuel Smith. After their mother’s death they were taken to the home of their grand-parents, Union Mills.
James Shriver was married, a short time previous to his death, to Eliza Miller, sister of his first wife.
ELIZA JANE SHRIVER, daughter of James Shriver, married George W. McLean, of Baltimore. At the time of their marriage Mr. McLean was with the Baltimore and Philadelphia Transportation Company, Philadelphia. He, subsequently, resigned the office and removed to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Md., where he was engaged in business sometime, whence he removed to Baltimore, where he now  resides.
The McLean family, and their connections, have been for a long time identified with the. business and social circles of Baltimore and Washington, D.C., and are recognized among the first in respectability.
Mrs. George W. McLean was a member of the Reformed Church, but, at her marriage, united with her husband in the Communion of the Episcopal Church, in the benevolent and charitable work of which she is warmly interested.
SAMUEL S. SHRIVER, son of James Shriver, was born at Uniontown, Pa. He attained his majority at the home, Union Mills, where he also received an Academic education, with special reference to the profession of Civil Engineering; the only practical use made of which was the survey of the plot of “Myersville,” now the village annex of Union Mills.
In early life, he was for sometime Principal of the Academy at Union Mills; he also took an active part in the organization and maintenance of the first Sunday School, and Temperance Association, in the neigborhood [sic].
At the time of his marriage, 1850, he was engaged in mercantile business in Philadelphia. In 1860 he relinquished business, having in view the gospel ministry, and entered the Theological Seminary, Allegheny city, Pa. In 1862 he was installed pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Hightstown, New Jersey; also served as Financial Agent for the Van Rensselear Institute, located at that place, and secured the erection of the building at an expenditure of $30,000. In 1869 he resigned the charge at Hightstown, and removed to Pittsburgh, where, he was appointed Financial Secretary to aid in founding an educational institution — the Pennsylvania Female College, Fast End, Pittsburgh. The charter was drafted, an act of incorporation secured, and subscriptions were obtained amounting to about $40,000 in furtherance of the object. In 1870 he was installed pastor of the Lebanon Presbyterian Church, near Pittsburgh, where he continued in service until the fall of 1876, when, owing to impaired health, he resigned and removed to Baltimore, where he had charge as pastor, for five years, of the Mount Alto Mission Church, near the city.
CAROLINE H. SHRIVER, his wife, was born at West Alexander, Pa. Her father, Dr. McCluskey, was a Presbyterian clergyman — the pastor, for twenty-eight years, of the Church at West Alexander; also the principal, at same time, of a noted Academy, which he founded and successfully conducted. Lydia Hall, her mother, a lady distinguished for her many virtues, was the daughter of Adam and Elizabeth Wiltbank Hall, of Lewes, Del. Her sister, Mary Elizabeth,  married James Bateman of Philadelphia, and her sister Julia the Rev. Jonah W. Lupton, D.D., of Clarksville, Tenn. Her brother, Henry McCluskey, resides in Bucks county, Pa. She has been an efficient co-worker with her husband in the Church, a devoted wife, and judicious guide and instructor of her children.
Children of Samuel S. Shriver and Caroline H., his wife: Mary Jane, John McCluskey, Anna Hampton, Samuel Henry, Caroline Hewlings, James, George McLean, and William Payne.
ANNA HAMPTON SHRIVER Was a graduate from the. Pennsylvania Female College. She was married to Dr. John W. Hawkins of Baltimore County, Md. Her death, within a brief time thereafter, was noticed as follows: “She whose death is here chronicled came from Western Pennsylvania but five weeks ago, a bride, young, gentle and guileless, only, as it were, to die. Highly accomplished and agreeable, those who knew her well fondly looked forward to the pleasure she would contribute to the social circle she was about to enter. She died, as she had lived, in the simple faith of a little child.”
SAMUEL H. SHRIVER is with the Cochran-Oler Ice, Co. He is an active member of the Brown Memorial (Presbyterian) Church, and of the Young Men’s Christian Association, Baltimore.
JAMES SHRIVER is with the American Fish Guano Co., office, Hoffman’s Wharf, Virginia.
GEORGE McLEAN SHRIVER is with Charles F. Mayer.
WILLIAM PAYNE SHRIVER is a student in the Manual Training School.