THE GREEN BOOK
NARRATIVES AND RECORDS TO THE PRESENT TIME. 1888.
(page numbers in 1888 Green book in [square brackets])
JAMES SHRIVER -- PUBLIC SERVICES -- EARLY DEATH
AT FORT WAYNE -- CHILDREN WITH THEIR CONNECTIONS --
JAMES SHRIVER, the
third son of Andrew Shriver, of Union Mills, was born at Littlestown,
Pa. He was baptized by Rev. Mr. Kopright; sponsors, his father and
He attained manhood at the family residence, Union
Mills. His native intelligence was improved by a fair English education,
and, being qualified for the position, he was appointed by his uncle
David his assistant in the location and construction of the National
Road from Cumberland to Wheeling. In 1824 he accepted a position,
tendered him by gentlemen interested in the project, to make preliminary
surveys for the contemplated Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. He prepared a
map, and gave a summary of estimates, and other matters relative to the
subject, which he had published, and which gave a decided impulse to the
project. Hon. Andrew Stewart, M. C., at the time one of the foremost
advocates for the construction of the canal, in an address delivered at
Smithfield, Pa., July 4, 1825, says: " I found Mr. James Shriver
occupied in selecting material on the subject. -- We repaired to the
Summit level, where Mr. Shriver remained a considerable time until he
collected material for the work which he has since published, and this
work, it is but justice to say, gave the first great impulse to this
movement. It was the result of these surveys, which Mr. Shriver
exhibited in person at the Canal Convention in Washington, which removed
all doubt as to the practicability of the work."
In 1825 he was appointed by Government Chief of the
Brigade of Engineers to survey the location of the mountain division of
the canal. While thus engaged, Hon. John C. Calhoun, Secretary [p. 74]
of War, spent some time in the encampment with the Brigade, thus
evincing the Government's interest in the work. After the completion of
these surveys, Mr. Shriver was further commissioned (1826) by the
Government, to make the surveys for the Wabash Canal, Indiana, and,
while thus engaged -- month of August -- he was taken ill with typhus
fever and died at Port Wayne. The Brookville (Indiana) Repository
referred to the event as follows: "Mr. Shriver was a most useful
citizen, and one of the most important, active and efficient agents of
the Government in the system of Internal Improvements now in progress.
His scientific attainments were extensive, and contributed largely to
the development of the resources of the country; and his literary and
other accomplishments were of no ordinary kind. In the death of such a
man it may well be said, we have lost a useful citizen, and the
Government a valuable public officer."
The funeral obsequies were in character with the
foregoing estimate of Mr. Shriver's public services. General Tipton, the
Commander of the Port, the members of the Brigade of Engineers, the Port
Wayne Masonic fraternity, citizens and Indians, participated in the
ceremonies of sepulture, evidencing their grief and respect for the
deceased. A member of the Brigade, in a letter of condolence to his
friends, says: "I am certain no man ever bad more attentive friends
about him than Mr. Shriver had. Mr. Moore, Mr. Stansbury, Mr. Smith,
(Mr. Morris was ill), Mr. Jackman, Mr. Stewart, Dr. Cushman, his
physician, in fact, all were unceasing in their attentions." The
interment was in the "public burial ground, near a small church on
the bank of the river."
The members of the Brigade, subsequently, convened
and took action expressive of their deep sense of loss in the death of
their Chief, and the high regard entertained for him as a friend and
In personal appearance James Shriver was attractive
and commanding, He was noted, in the society in which he moved, for his
social qualities, which endeared him to his friends, especially to those
of the home circles at Uniontown and Union Mills. He died, as he had
lived, in the faith of the gospel.
ELIZABETH B. SHRIVER, his estimable wife, was born at
Uniontown, Pa. Her father, John Miller, was a prominent citizen of the
place. Her mother was a daughter of Jacob Beason, one of the first
settlers of the region. She was the eldest daughter. Her sister Anna
married Hon. Judge Hampton, of Pittsburgh, and her sister Jane married
judge James Todd, of Philadelphia. John H. Hampton, a nephew, is a
prominent lawyer at the Pittsburgh bar, and attorney for the
Pennsylvania and other railroads. Moses Hampton Todd, Philadelphia,
anther nephew, married Alice E. Ferree, and John H. Miller, son of her
brother, the late Major Miller, U. S. A., married Barbara Pebles, whose
mother was Mary Ferree, lineal descendants in each case of the Pequea
Ferrees, thus reuniting these several branches and connections of the
Elizabeth B. Shriver was distinguished for her
personal charms, and social and domestic virtues. Her death occurred
during her husband's absence at Washington on public duty. They had two
children, Eliza Jane and Samuel Smith. After their mother's death they
were taken to the home of their grand-parents, Union Mills.
James Shriver was married, a short time previous to
his death, to Eliza Miller, sister of his first wife.
ELIZA JANE SHRIVER, daughter of
James Shriver, married George W. McLean, of Baltimore. At the
time of their marriage Mr. McLean was with the Baltimore and
Philadelphia Transportation Company, Philadelphia. He, subsequently,
resigned the office and removed to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Md.,
where he was engaged in business sometime, whence he removed to
Baltimore, where he now  resides.
The McLean family, and their connections, have been
for a long time identified with the. business and social circles of
Baltimore and Washington, D. C., and are recognized among the first in
Mrs. George W. McLean was a member of the Reformed
Church, but, at her marriage, united with her husband in the Communion
of the Episcopal Church, in the benevolent and charitable work of which
she is warmly interested.
SAMUEL S. SHRIVER, son of James Shriver, was born at
Uniontown, Pa. He attained his majority at the home, Union Mills, where
he also received an Academic education, with special reference to the
profession of Civil Engineering; the only practical use made of which
was the survey of the plot of "Myersville," now the village
annex of Union Mills.
In early life, he was for sometime Principal of the
Academy at Union Mills; he also took an active part in the organization
and maintenance of the first Sunday School, and Temperance Association,
in the neigborhood [sic].
At the time of his marriage, 1850,
he was engaged in mercantile business in Philadelphia. In 1860 he
relinquished business, having in view the gospel ministry, and entered
the Theological Seminary, Allegheny city, Pa. In 1862 he was installed
pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Hightstown, New Jersey; also
served as Financial Agent for the Van Rensselear Institute, located at
that place, and secured the erection of the building at an expenditure
of $30,000. In 1869 he resigned the charge at Hightstown, and removed to
Pittsburgh, where, he was appointed Financial Secretary to aid in
founding an educational institution -- the Pennsylvania Female College,
Fast End, Pittsburgh. The charter was drafted, an act of incorporation
secured, and subscriptions were obtained amounting to about $40,000 in
furtherance of the object. In 1870 he was installed pastor of the
Lebanon Presbyterian Church, near Pittsburgh, where he continued in
service until the fall of 1876, when, owing to impaired health, he
resigned and removed to Baltimore, where he had charge as pastor, for
five years, of the Mount Alto Mission Church, near the city.
CAROLINE H. SHRIVER, his wife, was born at West Alexander, Pa. Her father, Dr.
McCluskey, was a Presbyterian clergyman -- the pastor, for twenty-eight
years, of the Church at West Alexander; also the principal, at same
time, of a noted Academy, which he founded and successfully conducted.
Lydia Hall, her mother, a lady distinguished for her many virtues, was
the daughter of Adam and Elizabeth Wiltbank Hall, of Lewes, Del. Her
sister, Mary Elizabeth, [p.
77] married James Bateman
of Philadelphia, and her sister Julia the Rev. Jonah W. Lupton, D. D.,
of Clarksville, Tenn. Her brother, Henry McCluskey, resides in Bucks
county, Pa. She has been an efficient co-worker with her husband in the
Church, a devoted wife, and judicious guide and instructor of her
Children of Samuel S. Shriver and Caroline H., his
wife: Mary Jane, John McCluskey, Anna Hampton, Samuel Henry, Caroline
Hewlings, James, George McLean, and William Payne.
ANNA HAMPTON SHRIVER Was a graduate from the.
Pennsylvania Female College. She was married to Dr. John W. Hawkins of
Baltimore County, Md. Her death, within a brief time thereafter, was
noticed as follows: " She whose death is here chronicled came from
Western Pennsylvania but five weeks ago, a bride, young, gentle and
guileless, only, as it were, to die. Highly accomplished and agreeable,
those who knew her well fondly looked forward to the pleasure she would
contribute to the social circle she was about to enter. She died, as she
had lived, in the simple faith of a little child."
SAMUEL H. SHRIVER is with the Cochran-Oler Ice, Co.
He is an active member of the Brown Memorial (Presbyterian) Church, and
of the Young Men's Christian Association, Baltimore.
JAMES SHRIVER is with the American Fish Guano Co.,
office, Hoffman's Wharf, Virginia.
GEORGE McLEAN SHRIVER is with Charles F. Mayer.
WILLIAM PAYNE SHRIVER is a student in the Manual
RETURN TO GREEN BOOK TABLE OF CONTENTS
RETURN TO UNION MILLS HOMESTEAD HOME PAGE
PAGE MAINTAINED BY J. D. KLEIN. LAST MODIFIED 03/02/03 .